Saturday, July 26, 2008

You Have a Gift, Roy; but it's not Enough

This line, from "The Natural", reveals a major and dangerous temptation for all leaders and performers during times of pressure--to rely on our own gifts and abilities rather than utilizing and optimizing the strengths and abilities of those around us. In the movie, Roy Hobbs (Robert Redford) is an incredibly talented young baseball player who has to learn the hard way that, as his father tried to warn him, his gift is not enough. By the end of the movie, Hobbs has been humbled and realized that character, discipline, and teaming with others is the true path of winning. I wonder, as we work through the pressures of the current environment, whether we act like young Roy (under pressure I just rely more on myself and do it myself) or if we respond like mature Roy (still using my talent but adding the commitment to grow and use the talents of those around me as well).

No comments: